Expenditures for all disaster responses and routine operations are approved by the Virginia Baptist Disaster Response Coordinator in consultation with the Team Coordinator of the Mission Development Team and under the auspices of the Treasurer and Executive Director.
SPECIFIC DESIGNATED GIFTS
- All gifts designated for a specific disaster will be utilized as directed by the donor and distributed as follows:
- When Virginia Baptists respond with personnel and/or equipment the funds will be administered in such a way as to maximize the benefit to the victim. Examples include:
- Transportation of equipment or personnel to disaster site. Transportation costs may include provision for recovering costs of vehicle rental, purchase, insurance, maintenance, etc.
- Purchase of food for cooking or distribution by disaster unit and/or volunteers
- Purchase of supplies or equipment consumed during response
- Repair or replacement of equipment that has been damaged or worn out due to normal or abnormal use and depreciation
- Materials and supplies for the repair or rebuilding of homes and churches damaged or destroyed by disaster
- Materials and supplies to provide direct aid for victim relief – i.e. household items, clothing, medications, etc.
- Placement of individuals to serve in a long term capacity to assist and aid with the response
- When there is no direct response from Virginia Baptists with personnel and/or equipment all funds will be directed to the appropriate, vetted, trusted partner on the field which is responding directly in a manner consistent with our response as if we were responding directly. (see bullet points above)
There are few occasions when gifts for a specific disaster exceed the needs for that disaster. When this occurs any unused monies given for that specific disaster will be placed in a reserve fund in order to cover similar expenses when designations are insufficient for a future disaster.
NON-SPECIFIC DESIGNATED GIFTS
- All gifts designated for disaster response with no specific disaster designation will be utilized in the following manner:
- Funds will be used to respond to disasters that have unmet needs
- Funds will be used for the purchase and replacement of equipment
- Funds will be used for the training of volunteers
- In-kind gifts that have been solicited by Virginia Baptist Disaster Response will be distributed as directed by the solicitation.
- Unsolicited in-kind gifts will be utilized as best determined by the leadership of Virginia Baptist Disaster Response and may be returned or rejected if determined to not be beneficial to victims of a response or to the ministry in general.